Thursday, December 1, 2011

Pack Sack Inquiry

The "Pack Sack" is a metaphor speaking about the things I have acquired over the course of this semester.

In August, my pack sack was filled with 5 years of school & professional work spread across my home server and amongst flash drives and external hard drives. My web presence had no continuity and said nothing about what my passions are. I had just returned from spending a week in the dessert at Burningman and before that spending 3 months in Canada. So, my mind was clear & ready to flip into ACTION MODE. I was ready to end this semester and my school career on a powerful and prosperous note.

What I had coming into the class:
  • I had an out dated resume in a traditional format that I would never show to anyone.
  • I had a 1,000 page book on "How to Write Cover Letters." But no cover letter.
  • I knew where I wanted to work, location wise, but no research on where I would apply.
  • A forgotten about blog
  • A pretty stale and impersonal Linkedin account
  • A positive & productive mindset
What I picked up during the class:
  • A Development Plan which focused on what we were trying to develop and how we would practice it.
  • Lots of presentation practice
  • A Mantra
    • Go for it. has become my mantra. 
    • I choose this mantra because I realized that one of the biggest road blocks to getting where you want to go can be doubt
    • I came in contact with this feeling while I was charting out possible places I could apply to. I would consider the fact that I didn't know anyone there, and my chances were low, or think about the fact that I may not be good enough, or that the firm wouldn't have time to talk to me. Noticing the toxicity of these statements or feelings was a very important personal step. Identifying that for me, doubt comes from a fear of failure
    • Clearing my own intentions before reaching out to people or future employers is like putting on a pair of warm slippers to me. It grounds me and literally changes fear of failure into an exciting challenge.
What I have now:

  • A cover letter & C/V that has been sent out 10 times so far.
  • A business card design and personal brand design
  • Experience - 1 telephone interview, & in person meeting
  • Clarity on the 3 P's (Presence, Present, & Presenting)
  • Digital Activity
    • This semester has been the most digitally active I have ever been. I have turned all digital “me’s” active and added profile descriptions for all of them. I have added a google profile as well so that when you google my name, the profile comes up.
    • Found out about Cargo Collective & have a digital portfolio up and running. 
    • The site showcases college and professional works that show strategic thinking along with descriptions for the projects and “big ideas” that bring life to the projects.
    • Integration active links across all digital sites that link to one another.
    • Comfortable spending time on line following twitter, blogging, and looking for people/companies to network with on Linkedin.

No comments:

Post a Comment